Did the Festival of Sail inspire you to set sail or explore the restaurants, businesses and recreational opportunities along Tacoma’s waterfront? Here are some water-related activities and events so you can get more involved:
- Learn to sail and paddle with lessons at the Foss Waterway Seaport in partnership with the Tacoma Youth Marine Center. More information here.
- Rent a kayak or stand up paddleboard at Dock Street Marina or Foss Harbor Marina on the Foss Waterway. Thanks to Metro Parks, kayak and SUP rentals may be available at Owen Beach in Pt. Defiance Park and Jack Hyde Park on Ruston Way.
- Paddle with the Tacoma Dragon Boat Association or the Kikaha O Ke Kai Outrigger Canoe Club. They both practice on the Foss Waterway!
- Go on a cruise with Destiny Harbor Tours. They offer two-hour boat tours from the waterside at the Museum of Glass as well as tours from Gig Harbor and charters.
- Learn about the Port of Tacoma on their free boat tours. July 16.
- Volunteer to clean up beaches and restore habitat with Citizens for a Healthy Bay.
- Rent and ride a surrey along Ruston Way through Wheel Fun Rentals at Point Ruston.
- Run with South Sound Running and Tacoma Runners. Many runs go along the waterfront or in Pt. Defiance Park.
- Join the Tacoma Waterfront Association. Support clean water, recreational opportunities and businesses along Tacoma’s waterfront. Great monthly meetings, network opportunities and events!
Here are some fun community events located along Tacoma’s waterfront:
- Taste of Tacoma. Point Defiance Park. June 23 – 25. Free admission.
- Old Town Summer Concert Series sponsored by Old Tacoma Business District. Old Town Park. Wednesdays from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Summer concert series at Point Ruston. The first concert is Sat., June 24 from 5 – 7 p.m. Free!
- Tacoma Freedom Fair. 4th of July. Many activities and entertainment along Ruston Way and other places, too. Check out the website for details!
- World Water Ski Racing Championships. Point Ruston. July 26 – August 6.
Downtown to Defiance Trolley
Pierce Transit and Metro Parks Tacoma offer bus service from downtown Tacoma to Point Defiance Park along Ruston Way on weekends during the summer. More information about the Downtown to Defiance Trolley here.
Let’s get out and enjoy the fun opportunities to explore and support our waterfront!